Monday, December 12, 2011

I have too many brain cells to kill with mind blowing thoughts.


Let's get nuanced up in this bitch. For example, I've always known that the human species has existed for around 180,000 years or something like that, or even if you cut it off when we could relate behaviorally, it's something like 45,000 years.


In any event, it blows my mind - even though I know I've always known this - that all of human history that we know of is basically recorded written wise within the past 6,000 years. 


There were at least some 39,000 years of relatable human history we have no clue about other than fossil records and some tools, and a whole 135,000 years where we've even more in the dark about the day to day lives of our ancestors. It blows my mind that the vast, vast majority of our time on this Earth was never recorded and thus we simply don't know about it. I don't know why it does, but it just does. And that's a small time scale. Thinking about time on the scale of the universe is even more mind blowing.



Think about it. How in the world did this first person learned how to start a fire? What was the motivation to start a fire? That crap takes time even if you know how to do it? 


And why in the world would they use fire to cook food? Why would they want to burn the food that was so hard to get? And how did all of them did it all over the world? Who was this smartest son of a gun?

But yeah, I love thinking about it. I know some people would go back in time and visit, like, Da Vinci or Jesus but I think I'd like a week observing our badass hunter/gatherer cousins in action.


As if my mind haven't got enough chill from it, let's do a mind travelling back to the beginning of Earth's formation:


Think of the time that spanned from the beginning of the universe, the first formation of molecules, the birth of stars and planets to the first life ever emerged in a habitable planet, it is so awe-inspiring to see that it took incomprehensibly long period of time leading to my birth! I was made of the star stuff that created the universe we've known yet I have no recollection of it. While I'm alive, I will be able to store memories and recall the past. I have a personality and a feeling of free will.


I will die at some point, and all of this will be gone. My body will stop functioning, and I as the world knows me will no longer exist. But the particles that make me what I am will continue on, and may even one day be part of a separate living thing. Parts of conscious organisms interconnected by time (eg. eat chicken, harvest protein and use in muscles) are used like passing a tool from an experienced mechanic to a novice, but between species.


Also, I believe there are billions of habitable planets in this universe, and of all these planets,  this is where us, the human life started here on this planet. It is the only place known in the universe to have written history. This is the place in which I was born, not any where else, this is where my parents met and conceived me, and where my grandparents met each other and my great grandparents before them, and all the history interconnected among them, the internet, airplanes, ships, smart phones. The entire world converged onto a singularity. We've made such huge strides in the last millenia or so years its absurd. I think my idol, Carl Sagan says it a lot better than me:


"From this distant vantage point, the Earth might not seem of any particular interest. But for us, it's different. Look again at that dot. That's here, that's home, that's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam."


How lonely was the beam of light? But it was there, I met my special ones. 


And who knows that all of the chained events since the beginning of time would lead to the writing of this post. It's mind chilling to know that I've got the chance to live on this planet, a place at which I could achieve greatness, marvel at the beauty of the life, seeing how humanity progress and... to be together with the loved ones.


Again, in a pale blue dot suspended as a mote of dust in the vast space of the universe, have you ever wondered how you ended up meeting the people you've known? And of all the random events that had and will be unfolded, what are the odds that at some where and some time, past, present and future, you'd be reading this post, my thought? 





Signing out. Before my sleep, I love to watch these videos again to give me peace and astonishment:


We are star stuff, the ash of stellar alchemy

Star Stuff



We Are Here: The Pale Blue Dot









No comments:

Post a Comment